Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Two Pillows

At our age, it is common for internists and cardiologists to ask us how many pillows we use when we sleep. (I’ve always answered but never asked why we’re asked – I should when I am asked again).

I suppose it indicates our capability to breathe comfortably (does that make sense?), and maybe that’s how doctors know if we still have good lungs. I’ve always answered “one,” but last night, I realized that I use two. Come to think of it, I have never slept with one pillow.

There are many reasons for using an extra pillow – to elevate the head or to hug something soft and warm - but last night, the reason why I use a second pillow became obvious to me. I put my head on a pillow (pillow number 1) and I put a pillow on my head (pillow number two).

It is to muffle the sound of a husband snoring. ; )

Of course, in the middle of the night, I may not need those pillows.

P.S. 1 I sms’ed a friend who is a medical student to ask him why they ask and here’s his reply:

“Haha. Funny that doctors forget to explain. When hearts enter a failure state, fluid can collect in the lungs because of the increased pressure in the lungs. Patients try to use pillows so fluid stays lower in the lungs via gravity, so they can breathe easier. Ü”

P.S. 2 It must be true love that has kept me sharing the same bed for 33 years with a husband who snores. =)

No comments: